The extended weekend is here (for many of you). Say goodbye to 2018! Bring 2019 in with these great data and tech reads. Have a great weekend.
Happy Holidays! We wish everyone a great holiday break. Here are some data-related weekend reads. They go better with hot chocolate or coffee. Enjoy.
- How to think about data in 2019 (The Economist)
- AlphaZero: Shedding new light on the grand games of chess, shogi and Go (Deepmind)
- DataOps is NOT Just DevOps for Data (Data Kitchen)
- Data Deletion in a World with Endless Storage (Datanami)
- The 9 Most Common Database Design Errors (Vertabelo)
- AWS Lambda in a VPC Will Soon be Much Faster (Nuweba)
It’s getting close to the holidays, so we’re sure you’ve got a lot to do (last minute Christmas shopping, ugly sweater and white elephant parties, etc). We’ll keep the articles pretty brief this weekend.
- PORTING TO AWS GRAVITON: COST ENGINEERING WITH NEW CPU ARCHITECTURES (Ternary Data)
- The rise of Kubernetes epitomizes the transition from big data to flexible data (ZDNet)
- The hidden risk in the startup economy (VentureBeat)
- AWS re:Invent 2018: Amazon DynamoDB Deep Dive: Advanced Design Patterns for DynamoDB (DAT401) (YouTube)
- A radical new neural network design could overcome big challenges in AI (MIT Technology Review)
Hope everyone had a productive week. Pour a cup of 5 of coffee and browse these data reads.
- Why Companies That Wait to Adopt AI May Never Catch Up (HBR)
- Your Data Is Useless If You Don’t Have a Management Strategy (Entrepreneur)
- State of Deep Learning : H2 2018 Review (Medium)
- Predicting the real-time availability of 200 million grocery items (Instacart)
- The Friendship That Made Google Huge (New Yorker)
The big thing this week was AWS re:Invent. AWS really hit it out of the park, across the board.
Here are some of of our favorite AWS data announcements from re:Invent. This isn’t an exhaustive list, as there were too many cool things announced. We will have some blog posts covering our experiences with these and other new products.
- Amazon Forecast
- Amazon Textract
- Amazon Personalize
- Amazon Elastic Inference
- Sagemaker RL
- Sagemaker Ground Truth
- AWS Inferentia